Yukon families have the right to educate their children at home. Home education is also called home schooling or home-based learning.
A home education program can be 100% home-based or cross-enrolled with a local public school for certain courses.
- Registration of home-schooled students with the Department of Education
- Educational plans
- Use of local school resources and facilities
- School-based course attendance by home-schooled students
- Achievement testing
Aurora Virtual School
Home education in Yukon is coordinated through the Aurora Virtual School (AVS).
AVS staff can help with:
- Setting up a home education program.
- Meeting Department of Education requirements, such as creating educational plans and arranging for achievement testing and provincial exams.
- Choosing educational resources.
- Cross-enrolling with local public schools to take certain courses in your local school or online with AVS.
- Contacting your local school for participation in school activities, sports events and on sports teams.
AVS also arranges for home educators to borrow textbooks and equipment from the Department of Education’s Resource Services unit and provides access to the ERAC Digital Classroom .
Click on the following links to find information on: