In New Brunswick, the minister of education is responsible for administering the Education Act. The Act states that children from five to 18 years of age must attend school (section 15) unless the minister is satisfied that the child is under “effective instruction elsewhere” (section 16).
If a parent or guardian chooses to home school his or her child, the parent or guardian must provide for the child’s “effective instruction.”
This document addresses five steps that a parent or guardian who is considering home schooling must follow:
- Ensure that the home schooling option is right for the family.
- Apply each year for a home schooling exemption.
- Plan a home school curriculum that provides “effective instruction.”
- Establish a regular evaluation and record-keeping habit.
- Prepare for the student’s eventual return to the public school system, post-secondary education or the work world.
Click on the following links to find information on: